As I sat on my parents’ porch enjoying the summer breeze, I watched school bus after school bus pull up and drop off the kids who now live on the same block where I grew up. I watched the school aides walk some off the bus and have almost a “good riddance” attitude. I watched others walk off and wave to the child looking forward to tomorrow. Then I watched after parent after parent came outside or opened the door for their children. Some parents were genuinely happy to see their children return after spending the day apart. Others seemed annoyed at the mere presence of this child returning home.
Some of the things this got me thinking of was where is the village now?
I understand now as a mother why it’s so important to have a village. It’s not only for the care of the kids, but for the sake of a mother’s sanity as well. Yes, we are women who are capable of playing every role and truly fulfilling the “I’m every woman” heels, but truth be told, why do we want to?
As a mom of 3, I am grateful for my “village”. I think about how grateful I am often. For most of these mothers, it wasn’t that they didn’t want to see their children. It was more that these mothers are frustrated, tired, stressed out, and more. Their “village” is either nonexistent or lacking. They have spent so much time pouring into their children, and yet no one has poured into them. They have become depleted and their emotional “bank” is now suffering. This causes them to be short with their children, to be moody and emotional and defensive. Where is the “village” for these mothers?
- Gabrielle Union Speaks Out On Her Struggle With Infertility -
- Are Celebrities Held To Different Child/Spousal Support Expectations? -
- Pushing Past The Pain: How To Heal From Heartbreak -
- Parenting A Child With A Disability -
- It’s Just A Little Flirting: That’s Not Cheating Right? -
- Why I Won’t Encourage My Kids To Marry Young -
- Open Letter To Single Moms On Father’s Day -
- Why I Refuse To Let My Kid Have A Participation Award -
- Turmeric: Can It Change Your Life? -
- Flaws And All… -