Recently I had the pleasure of taking my kids to see the movie “Moana”. I have to say this is one of the best kids’ movies I have seen in a very long time! First, it was empowering to my daughter that the lead character is the daughter of a Chief, and looks very much like her. My son absolutely loved the musical scenes by Mauai, the demigod. You want to know what I loved? I loved that the movie was so in tune with the earth and the spirit. They even gave a good glimpse into the conflict Moana faced with wanting to obey her father and fulfill her role as the new Chief of the village vs her wanting to follow her heart’s desire.
I have to say the musical scenes were so amazing! The songs have been so catchy that we’ve all been busting out in random song singing them. They even had songs where they honored their ancestors, which was so important to see. During some of the scenes, they even did some of the cultural dances, which I may add, I would absolutely love to see in person one day.
In one of the songs, Moana sings just because your heart was broken, don’t let that change who you are. You are not your pain. That message was so deep to me, and resonated on so many levels.
As of recently, Zootopia was my favorite cartoon movie, but this has quickly jumped to first place in my book. If you want to take your kids to see a movie they’ll love, Moana is definitely a great choice for that!
Oh, and I would advise you to get the soundtrack as well. I know I’m looking for it! Enjoy your movie date with the kids!
PS-Who knew Dwayne Johnson aka The Rock could sing as well as he does?!
- Women’s Empowerment Hits The Golden Globes: Oprah Winfrey’s Life-Changing Speech -
- Open Marriages: Are They The New Face of Marriage? -
- Gabrielle Union Speaks Out On Her Struggle With Infertility -
- Are Celebrities Held To Different Child/Spousal Support Expectations? -
- Pushing Past The Pain: How To Heal From Heartbreak -
- Parenting A Child With A Disability -
- It’s Just A Little Flirting: That’s Not Cheating Right? -
- Why I Won’t Encourage My Kids To Marry Young -
- Open Letter To Single Moms On Father’s Day -
- Why I Refuse To Let My Kid Have A Participation Award -