I recently announced that I’m pregnant. I made a game of having people guess whether I was having a boy or girl. I had taken the Panorama blood test 2 weeks prior, and had received the results 2 days before I announced it. I’ll discuss the Panorama test in another post. It was pretty hilarious to hear some of the old wives tales people were using to try and predict whether I’m having a boy or girl. Some I’ve heard before, some were pretty new.
Here are a few of them:
1) If your belly sits high, the baby is a girl. If your belly sits low, baby is a boy.
Truth: all bellies will sit fairly high until toward the end of the pregnancy when the baby “drops”, and engages in the birthing position.
2) If you develop acne or blemishes on your face, baby is a girl. She’s “stealing your beauty”.
Fact: The increase in hormones can cause the acne or blemishes…it has nothing to do with a boy or girl.
3) Swing a ring or a small stone on a string in front of your belly. If it swings in a circle, baby is a boy. If it swings back and forth, baby is a girl.
Fact: The weight of the object, and gravity is what determines which way it swings.
4) The heart rate will reveal gender. Under 160 is a boy. Over 160 is a girl.
Fact: All babies have fast heart rates in the womb. This is not a telling sign. My baby’s heart rate was 163, and i’m having a boy.
5) Craving of salty or sour foods means baby is a boy. Sweet foods means baby is a girl.
Fact: Cravings can come from different things like hormones, and nutritional deficiencies. You can’t base gender on this. I craved sweets with my daughter, salty foods with my son, and this pregnancy I’m craving sweets again with another son.
6) Birth charts
Fact: This can’t be any more accurate than a simple guess. You have a 50/50 chance.
7) Morning sickness
Fact: Morning sickness can not be a predictor of gender. For example: My mother in law was sick during her whole pregnancy with my husband. I was sick for the first 4 months of pregnancy with my daughter. Never had morning sickness with my sons. My sister was sick during her pregnancy with her son. This doesn’t predict gender.
8) If you carry wide, baby is a girl. If you carry just in front, baby is a boy.
Fact: Body structure, weight gain, and genetics determine how you will carry. I carried both of my babies in front and gained little weight on the rest of my body. One was a girl, one was a boy.
9) If your nose spreads, you’re having a girl. If not, baby is a boy.
Fact: Again,there are other factors that determine this. How much water is being retained is just one of them. My nose didn’t spread with any of my pregnancies. Not even my daughter.
10) Cold feet during pregnancy means the baby is a boy. If your feet have stayed the same, baby is a girl.
Fact: My feet are exactly the same, and I’m having a boy. There is no factual basis for this one.
So Sexy Moms, what are some of the gender predicting old wives tales you’ve heard? We’d love to hear!
- The Not-So-Perfect Side Of Motherhood We’ve All Been In -
- 8 Ways To Help Your Children Get Through A Divorce (While Keeping Your Own Sanity) -
- 5 Ways To Tell If You’re The Side Chick (Valentine’s Day Exposed) -
- Women’s Empowerment Hits The Golden Globes: Oprah Winfrey’s Life-Changing Speech -
- Open Marriages: Are They The New Face of Marriage? -
- Gabrielle Union Speaks Out On Her Struggle With Infertility -
- Are Celebrities Held To Different Child/Spousal Support Expectations? -
- Pushing Past The Pain: How To Heal From Heartbreak -
- Parenting A Child With A Disability -
- It’s Just A Little Flirting: That’s Not Cheating Right? -