Over this weekend I had the opportunity to attend a conference with an organization I am part of. The conference focused on loving within a sisterhood. Although I have been in this organization for a few years, I had allowed myself to become indifferent. I was so focused on what was going on with my business, my family, and other things that I wasn’t taking the time out anymore to connect with the women that are also a part of the organization. What I didn’t realize is that just like any relationship, when you go without communication for awhile, the relationship isn’t as strong as it could be.
One of the things this organization stands on is sisterhood. It was one of the reasons I joined. I have a great relationship with my own sisters, and while we are close, we live far apart. I find myself missing that sisterfriend bond. What I didn’t realize is that in any sisterhood relationship, there will be good times and there will be hard times. There will be times that you disagree, and that’s ok too.
Many women find themselves in a place where they desire those sisterfriends, but society has us to believe that women can not get along. Society would have us to believe that women are catty, and jealous, and tear each other down. That’s simply not true.
One of the most ridiculous statements I’ve heard, and I cringe when I hear it, is “no new friends”. My question is always “why not?” I can’t understand why people would close off the possibility to meet new people, and form new relationships. Why not offer a hand to another woman that may need it? Why not offer your friendship when it can bless you too?
When a woman is confident in herself, and does not feel like other women are a threat to her, she does not have a problem making new friends. That doesn’t mean every relationship gets the same privileges, but you don’t cut off potential relationships. You never know who you might meet. You never know who might bless your life.
I returned from that conference feeling renewed, and ready to pour back into the relationships that I care for. Ready to invest in the lives of these women I care for.
- Women’s Empowerment Hits The Golden Globes: Oprah Winfrey’s Life-Changing Speech -
- Open Marriages: Are They The New Face of Marriage? -
- Gabrielle Union Speaks Out On Her Struggle With Infertility -
- Are Celebrities Held To Different Child/Spousal Support Expectations? -
- Pushing Past The Pain: How To Heal From Heartbreak -
- Parenting A Child With A Disability -
- It’s Just A Little Flirting: That’s Not Cheating Right? -
- Why I Won’t Encourage My Kids To Marry Young -
- Open Letter To Single Moms On Father’s Day -
- Why I Refuse To Let My Kid Have A Participation Award -